Looks like a weekend in the garden is set for us all!
We plan on a classic BBQ and to follow Nic’s favourite desert – Raspberry & Almond Tart. This recipe is a great way of using up the soft fruits of summer when they are a little past their best, so raspberries can be swapped for the fruit of your choice!!
Serve cold as cake or warm as a desert with ice cream, cream or best of all clotted cream.
Raspberry & Apple Cake
- 125g softened butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 50g ground almonds
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 cooking apple
- 2 tart eating apples
- 100g raspberries
- 1 large pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1oz cold butter cut into flakes
- A handful of toasted flaked almonds
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 1. Heat oven to 150c/gas 3
- 2. Butter a 22cm round, loose-bottomed tin and line the base with baking parchment
- 3. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl till light and fluffy
- 4. Gradually pour in eggs, adding a little flour with each addition, to prevent curdling
- 5. Fold in remaining flour and ground almond
- 6. Peel, core and dice cooking apple and fold through mixture
- 7. Place half of mixture into prepared tin and roughly level. Scatter over the rapsberries and then place remaining cake mixture over the top. Smooth the surface
- 8. Peel, core and thinly slice the eating apples and arrange evenly over the cake mix, in a series of circles
- 9. Finally, roughly amalgamate topped ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the cake
- 10. Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-60 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and cake has a lovely golden, toasted colour.
- 11. Cool thoroughly before attempting to remove from the tin
TIP: You may like to scatter the flaked almonds over it about 10 mins before the baking to enhance the ‘toastiness’