Looks like a weekend in the garden is set for us all!
We plan on a classic BBQ and to follow Nic’s favourite desert – Raspberry & Almond Tart. This recipe is a great way of using up the soft fruits of summer when they are a little past their best, so raspberries can be swapped for the fruit of your choice!!
Serve cold as cake or warm as a desert with ice cream, cream or best of all clotted cream.
Raspberry & Apple Cake
125g softened butter
125g caster sugar
3 large eggs
50g ground almonds
100g self-raising flour
1 cooking apple
2 tart eating apples
1 large pinch of cinnamon
2 tbsp demerara sugar
1oz cold butter cut into flakes
A handful of toasted flaked almonds
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Heat oven to 150c/gas 3
2. Butter a 22cm round, loose-bottomed tin and line the base with baking parchment
3. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl till light and fluffy
4. Gradually pour in eggs, adding a little flour with each addition, to prevent curdling
5. Fold in remaining flour and ground almond
6. Peel, core and dice cooking apple and fold through mixture
7. Place half of mixture into prepared tin and roughly level. Scatter over the rapsberries and then place remaining cake mixture over the top. Smooth the surface
8. Peel, core and thinly slice the eating apples and arrange evenly over the cake mix, in a series of circles
9. Finally, roughly amalgamate topped ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the cake
10. Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-60 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and cake has a lovely golden, toasted colour.
11. Cool thoroughly before attempting to remove from the tin
TIP: You may like to scatter the flaked almonds over it about 10 mins before the baking to enhance the ‘toastiness’